This is the 6th draft (updated 8-23-2009: Refresh often!).
Genesis of the SF Labor Temple
The SF Labor Temple Hall Association (Hall Assoc.)
was the governing body that planned, financed and operated
the two SF Labor Temples for the SF Labor Council (SFLC)
from their initial plans in 1905 until the 2nd building's
sale to Peter Blasko in 1968. The original Articles
of Incorporation for the Hall Assoc.were agreed to on
September 14th, 1906 and filed with the California Secretary
of State three days later on the 17th. The following
men made up its original board of directors and officers:
R Corneilius (Street Carmen) President
George W. Bell (Gas Workers) Vice-President
William McCabe (Labor council) Treasurer
JJ O'Neil (Labor Council) Secretary
A Siewierski (Brewery Workmen)
Leo Michelson (Typographical Union)
Guy F Thurber (Laundry Workers)
Joseph Puntigam (Bakers #24)
John J Field (Iron Molders)
The first Labor Temple was built in a matter of a few
months at 316 14th Street in San Francisco. It was completed
in October 1906, with its dedication taking place on
Thanksgiving, November 28th. According to the official
announcement for the opening of the 14th Street Temple
published in the October 12, 1906 version of the Labor
Clarion, the newly constructed building would have 4
halls as well as be the offices for the Labor Council,
Molder's union, Street Carmen, Typographical Union and
the Labor Clarion. The building directly next door would
house the larger Baker's Local 24 Union. The state of
California would construct the massive National Guard
Armory right across the street from the Temple between
1912 and 1914 as an act of intimidation. Its of interest
that the motiviation to build the 2nd Temple gained
momentum in 1912 after the Armory started going up with
its gun turrets and massive walls.
The orginal genesis for constructing the Labor Council's
Labor Temple started in 1905, prior to the great earthquake
of 1906. However, no major actions took place until
the April 1906 earthquake changed the face of the city.
The Labor Council would lose all of its records after
the fire. The Council would move its meetings to a hall
on Noe Street until the new 14th Street building was
The Treasurer of both the Labor Council as well as
the Hall Assoc. was William McCabe who would make the
initial purchase of the 14th Street property. He would
file a quit claim on the property, transfering it over
to the Hall Association as soon as it had been incorporated.
William would resign his position as Treasurer several
times, to be reinstated at later dates. He would stay
on as Secretary Treasure of the Hall Assoc. until his
death in August 1948. He held the Treasurer position
of the Labor Council for 1906-7. He resigned as Labor
Council Treasurer due to an injury in 1907. William
was also the president of the SF Iron Trades Council
in 1902 for three years, and long time business agent
for the local Molders Union. He ran for the position
of City Clerk in 1907 and served on the SF Civil Service
Commission between 1929-1935. During the first decade
of the 20th century, there was no Secretary Treasurer,
but two separate positions, Treasurer, and Recording
Secretary. All Elected officials of the Council were
voted on semi-annually.
At some point after planning went ahead with the Labor
Temple on 16th street, the Labor Council sold the 14th
Street property, holding a lease on the older building
up until 1912, but staying on until the new building
was completed and ready for use in 1915.
On May 5th 1909, the officers of the Hall Assoc. sent
a formal letter to the Labor Council calling for the
construction of a new, far larger Labor Temple for the
City. On May 14th, the Labor Clarion would publish a
large front page article with examples of the value
of Labor Temples from around the country. A series of
meetings was held in June of 1909 for a new building,
but the momentum slipped away.
On March 18th 1910, William McCabe posted a formal
letter to the Labor Council calling for a large general
meeting to start the next step in locating and fundraising
for a "Class A" building. Finally, on April
15th, 1910 the Hall Assoc. proposal for the new building
was published in the Labor Clarion. A special meeting
on Sunday May 8th was held with representatives from
29 unions taking part. A special committee of five was
set up to find an appropriate location and member unions
were called on to start investing in bonds, with the
goal of raising $200,000 towards construction.
It wasn't long for the Committee of Five had narrowed
the search down to one lot in particular that met the
criteria: 2940 16th Street.
A brief overview of the Labor Temple
The Mission district has had quite a number of major
cultural shifts over the last two hundred years. From
Yelamu Ohlone times, the Spanish Mission (1776-1821)
period to the Mexican Rancheros, the U.S. era our neighborhood
was was known as the Mission Addition from the early
1850's until 1906. During the thirty years prior to
the 1906 quake, Howard Street (known today as Van Ness)
had become an an area of wealth and exclusivity. There
would be a number of large mansions, resorts like the
Willows on Valencia Street, Woodward Gardens, two large
horse racing tracks and the sunny Mediterranean in the
area that would give it a certain blue blood draw. Other
parts of the Mission were mostly working class, however.
D. Spreckels, the oldest son of sugar king Claus
Spreckels, one of the country's wealthiest men, (Claus
won the island of Maui in a card game from his friend
the King of Hawaii) had the most prominent mansion.
Some historic investigations place the mansion on Howard
Street between 16th and 17th Street. Back in the 1850's
16th Street was known as Centre Street. Spreckels would
also own the entire block that would become the Labor
Temple. The Spreckels also had an additional mansion
up on 21st on Howard as well as several more in other
parts of the city.
Spanish Captain de Anza would lead Francisco Palou
and Pedro Cambon on June 29th, 1776 to where they would
build the Mission San Francisco de Asis not far from
Mission Creek and Laguna de Nuestra Senora de los Dolores,
Lake of our Lady of Sorrows, near what is
now the intersection of Camp and Albion Streets. Dolores
Lagoon has a monument dedicated there today. The local
Ohlone tribal group (Yeluma) would be nearly taken into
extinction by disease and brutal tactics used by the
Spanish Missionaries. The handful that were left by
the 19th century were driven north to work on the construction
of another Mission.
The documentation of the Dolores Lagoon would place
it over the 2940 16th street property. As
can be seen here, there is some controversy
over its location. A recent city investigation places
the lagoon to the south of 16th street. However, there
is no doubt that the neighborhood was located in a low
lying swamp-like area, or Sausal. During the Mexican
Rancho period it was a grazing area for cattle, however
during the early days of modern San Fancisco it was
used to grow vegetables.
The 1906 Earthquake would change the Howard St. Corridor
from one of affluence to its working class character
as people from around the decimated city flooded into
the hood as one of the only areas of the city not completely
burned to the ground. Many working people would start
their life anew here. The Spreckels estate, mansion
and all other buildings in the North Mission were destroyed,
opening up the potential for new occupants. John Spreckels
would move to San Diego where he would play a major
role in developing that city.
Prior to the quake the block between 16th street and
Capp Street was made up of 8 seperate lots. In 1899
two of the 8 lots were leased by a painting company
and a carpenter. Fifty years earlier the block was open
space made up of a patchwork of sand dunes with a couple
of small shacks across the street on the block where
Walgreens and the Bart plaza are today. That block would
be the home of a Children's Asylum, a horsemeat store
and a Boxing arena in later years. Across the street,
the family of future governor's Jerry and Edmund Brown
would build a Vaudville theater in 1908.
There will be more to come as the
history of 2940 16th Street is explored in more detail!
On July 15th 1910, in another general meeting with
over 20 unions taking place the location of 2940 16th
street that had a foot print nearly 10,000 square feet
was selected. Not until June 1911 was the Hall Assoc.
able to come to terms with the Spreckels family. Finally
on June 17th, the two parties reached an agreement and
6 different lots were combined for the price of $35,000.
Another additional lot was also added later. A mortgage
agreement was completed on June 30th. On September 14th
1911, the Hall Assoc. changed its structure in a formal
application to the California Secretary of State.
Fundraising from the city unions proceeded but by 1912,
they had not reached the halfway point. The editor of
the Labor Clarion and the recently elected President
of the Hall Assoc., James Mullen had an idea! He would
use the March 1st, 1912 Labor Clarion's front cover
to show off the architect, Matthew O'Brien's design
for the building, promoting details on the interior
in a major article. The Class A building would house
two major halls on the first floor and an even larger
1,600 person capacity auditorium on the 2nd floor. It
would also have offices for 40 unions and be 5 stories
high, with an Italian Renaissance fireproof design and
brick facade. The article suggested that this would
be the finest Labor Temple in the U.S. when completed.
More money would come in, but problems started to creep
up on the Hall Association. By law, the original stocks
sold to union members started coming of age, so the
Hall Assoc. had to start paying dividends to the unions.
It also still had to pay for rent at its old quarters
and was now having to pay taxes on the new property.
Cash flow was starting to trickle in the wrong direction
and to make matters worse the general economy had taken
a turn for the worse so that money had tightened within
the union community but also with banks. No loans could
be obtained from any local bank.
The project would languish for two more years before
enough capital was raised to get construction started.
Ground was broke for construction of the building on
June 1st, 1914. The building was dedicated on Labor
Day morning September 7th, 1914. Speakers at the ceremony
included former SF mayor and Building Trades Council
head PH McCarthy and Mayor James Rolph. Retiring SF
Labor Council president Andrew J. Gallagher would lay
the cornerstone. The master of ceremonies was James
W. Mullen and William P McCabe of the Hall Association.
There was a 30 piece band in attendance to kick off
the celebration. Many original documents including a
special history of the SF labor movement by Lucile Eaves
(who also did a much larger history of California Labor)
was placed behind the cornerstone. As part of the the
mid 1950's renovations the cornerstone box was removed.
There is no clear indication on where its contents went.
The architect for the building was Matthew O'Brien
(1871-1920) from the O'Brien and O'Brien firm in San
Francisco. O'Brien also designed the following buildings:
The Downtown Theater in Oakland on 14th (Princess Theatre),
Valencia Theatre, Garrick Theatre, Scottish Rite Temple,
Sutter and Van Ness Avenue; Scottish Rite Temple, Oakland;
C. J. Heeseman Building, Oakland; Golden Eagle Hotel,
apartment house for the Biber Estate, new Lowell High
school, and many others.
The property is known as Block 3553, Lot 14 by the
city of San Francisco Assessor. It has a 90' by 150'
footprint with an additional 1,498 square foot (Lot
31-35) on the north that was purchased after an adjacent
house burned to the ground. The original (old) wing
of the building is 34,620 square feet, while the new
wing which was constructed in 1939 for $92,000 by Moore
& Roberts is 17,418 square feet. Lot 14 is currently
zoned as heavy commercial while lot 31-5 is zoned residential.
There were originally 22 offices, several major lodge
halls with a large Banquet and auditorium with their
own entrance on 1948 16th. There was also a somewhat
smaller "Jinks" hall and cafeteria in the
basement which became a major community center for the
North Mission with its own entrance on Capp Street.
The basement Jinks hall would become a pool hall that
also had permitted slot machines. A controversy about
other gambling activities took place in the 1950's eventually
resulting in the pool hall's closure in June 1952. The
other halls were called: Excelsior (new wing where Theater
Rhino held its theatrical events), Federal, Convention,
Brotherhood, Mechanics, Union and Progress.
But the dedication day of the building was not the
day unions were to move into the new Labor Temple. The
economic problems of the Hall Assoc. had been such that
the building was reduced to a Class C building (3 floors
and a mezzanine) vs. its original 5 story plan. In fact,
the new design failed to take into account suggestions
in the Labor Clarion's own article suggesting that Commercial
spaces be available on the first floor, other than a
tiny 200 Sq. Ft. space that would be used by union barbers
for most the building's Union era.
By October 1914, the Hall Association was facing an
extreme emergency. Finishing work on the building would
have to stop unless nearly $35,000 was obtained. The
goal of moving in on the new year was slipping as work
stopped due to lack of funds. Finally, on Christmas
Eve, a building saving present arrived in the form of
a $20,000 loan from the Bank of Italy (Bank of America)
that helped get the project going again. A final loan
of $5,000 from the Teamsters plus $10,000 more were
raised in the first five months of 1915, ending the
The Grand Opening of the building was held on February
27th 1915. The city of San Francisco, one of the most
powerful labor cities in the country finally had a new
The new building would be formally introduced at the
October 1915 California Federation of Labor's statewide
conference in Santa Rosa. San Francisco's delegation
proposed that the State Federation offices be moved
to the new building but failed in a 32 to 67 vote. Even
though the SF Labor Council played a pivotal role in
forming the statewide Labor Federation in 1901 not another
convention would be held in San Francisco until 1941.
On Labor Day 1931, the Labor Council's celebration
would include the burning of their mortgage papers at
California Park in Marin county.
There were over 20 employees working at the building
during its peak era in the 1940's and 1950's, including
13 janitors, 7 elevator operators, a carpenter and superintendent.
There were also many who worked in the pool hall when
it was operational. It came under close scrutiny due
to gambling and slot machine activities. Attempts to
limit gambling in a "Union Members Only" area
failed. The closure of the Pool Hall would play a huge
role in the downturn of the building's economic stability,
losing the Hall Assoc. over $1,400 a month in income.
After the closure of the pool hall, the basement was
renovated into many smaller offices. Many other spaces
have gone through renovation over the years as well.
Suite 200 was completely renovated as was 301 and 214,
known today as suite 216. Suite 200 became a medical
wing which had its own X-ray room and developer tank.
There was a unreinforced brick structure added onto
the back of the main auditorium that took major structural
damage during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake and which
had to be removed.
The SFLC would be the anchor tenant for the building
with its offices located in room 301. After the new
wing was built in 1939, the Council would move its offices
to room 214. There was a substantial number of union
tenants that stayed at the building throughout its history,
including the Union Labor Party, the Metal Trades Council
and a large United Garment Worker local (go
here for the full list)
In August 1948, the Hall Assoc.'s Sec. Treasurer and
superintendent William McCabe died after running the
building since the beginning. A new building manager
- Bob Haddow would take over running the building while
George Johns would become the Sec. Treasure of the Hall
Association. Long time Sec. Treasurer John O'Connell
for the SFLC also passed away that year as well.
The building would be completely repainted in 1949,
as well as new boiler and elevator. By 1956 the building
was having very hard times with the loss of 4 major
tenants. The SFLC came very close to selling the building
as well as looking for a new home. It closed down the
entire 3rd floor and abandoned the main auditorium.
In 1959 it was discovered that the steel frame on the
3rd floor had been badly rusted. The 3rd floor would
frame would be repaired and start being used again in
By 1960 the building appeared to be fairly healthy
again in terms of the number of tenants in the building.
The next year, the Trades Council Labor Temple on 14th
and Guerrero burned. Many tenants from that building
would come over to 16th Street helping in its economic
On April 6th 1966, after an extended battle with a
rival East Bay Painter's local, Dow Wilson was killed
around the corner on Van Ness. The murder played a role
in the SFLC leaving the building.
Peter Blasko, who was sympathetic to labor issues would
purchase the building in 1968, but would soon sell it
to MK Blake.
The main auditorium, where the 1934 General Strike
had many meetings was abandoned in the 1950's due to
serious maintenance problems. It was renovated and rented
to the EDD unemployment office in the 1970's. The nearly
6,491 square foot auditorium had its original 18 foot
ceiling replaced with an eight foot high drop ceiling
and then subdivided into 17 booths (A-M) and 9 large
areas. Most of these smaller booths would later be removed
with the space taken over by the Filipino Community
center and used as a dance hall and resource center.
In 1995, after being empty for nearly 7 years, The Lab
leased about 3,500 square feet of the auditorium, tearing
down the 8 foot drop ceiling and putting up new floor
to ceiling walls on the North and East sides. The 2,500
square foot west wing of the auditorium still has the
8 foot drop ceiling in place. It is very hard to lease
as there is no heat in the space,
The basement of the new wing was originally just two
large spaces, which were reorganized by theater Rhinoceros
when they moved into the building in 1982. They created
a large workshop, dressing rooms, office, a 2nd 49 seat
theater and soundbooth.
After MK Blake took possession of the building, most
of the labor unions moved to other locations. However,
at least one union, AFT local 2121 remained a tenant
up until the mid 1990's. As part of the demographic
shift in the nature of the neighborhood, most of its
Irish residents started to flee the inner city starting
in the 1950's, to be replaced over time by Latinos and
a Bohemian - artist subculture. By the late 1970's much
of the building's tenants were Latino service organizations.
For example, much of the 2nd floor was leased by Catholic
Charities for immigration services. The city's mental
heath department started a project that later became
known as the Bayview Hunter's Point Neighborhood Assoc.
which leased three large spaces 216 - the Federal and
Centennial Halls to serve mentally handicapped people
in the Mission. On the 3rd floor, was the Mission Neighborhood
Legal Services. There were also many Latino groups in
the basement including Women Inc, which was a battered
In 1988, Henry Hawke passed away. He had been the maintenance
person since at least 1973. Attempts to find a viable
replacement failed. The North Mission neighborhood went
into a tailspin due to the national recession in 1987,
and was hit with a devastating Crack Cocaine epidemic.
The executive director of Catholic Charities was held
up at knife point in 1989, creating a buildingwide demand
for security. Charles Hamilton would soon become connected
to the building, working with a security company that
contracted security services to the Redstone.
Unable to cope with increasing operating costs, MK
Blake sold the property to David Kimmel and his wife
just prior to the 1989 earthquake. Kimmel would run
into major financial trouble due to many of his other
older properties in downtown Santa Cruz being badly
damaged. He would soon be forced into bankruptcy and
his properties taken over by his investors -- Brad Ahekian
and Co. in 1991. A year later, they would abandon the
building, which was put into a court ordered receivership
in June 1992. The entity that took control of the building
was Brighton Pacific. David Luchessi would take control
of the building in August 1992.
In 1994, as part of a major shakeup in the local Catholic
Church when Arch Bishop Quinn was forced out, the immigration
program run by Catholic Charities on the 2nd floor was
shut down for nearly 9 months. Just as they were considering
setting up a new project, they saw an article in a local
newspaper that claimed that the Redstone Building was
on the city's Unreinforced Masonry Building (UMB) list,
which meant that the building was considered unsafe
as far as earthquake safety. The manager saw the article
prior to Charities, and warned the owner, who ignored
the warning. Charities, seeing the article, broke their
lease and immediately left the building in June of 1995.
The owner, upon the manager's advice hired a structural
engineer to certify the building off the UMB list. The
owner took Charities to court and won, forcing them
to pay for the rest of their lease.
Not soon afterwards, Mission Legal was forced to close
due to a embezzlement scandal by a newly hired secretary.
Mayor Jordan would cut their funding. The Hunter's Point
halfway house also lost funding and left, creating a
major tenant vacuum. However, many new smaller tenants
would soon relocate into the building, including The
Lab, Luna Sea women's theater and Teatro de la Esperanza,
putting a new face on the building. One of the new tenants
called Mission Agenda would grow to play a major role
in helping low income tenants, including a regular food
give-away. Supervisor Chris Daly would start his political
career here in the city at Mission Agenda.
In the basement, a sweetheart of a guy named Walker
started his Gay and Lesbian History museum in suite
B-4 (about 80 square feet). Within a few years he would
take over most of the basement space, and be forced
to leave all together due to the projects dramatic expansion.
Many other tenants would use the basement over the years,
too many to name here.
The Mission Area Federal Credit Union (MAFCU) would
face a major crisis in 1997 when nearly $750,000 in
member's money was inappropriately used. It took years
for MAFCU to finally get out from under federal oversight.
An innovative project of MAFCU was their Youth Credit
Union Project, one of only a few in the U.S.
Another program that managed mentally handicapped people
called Family Resources was also forced to close and
was soon replaced by a variety of tenants with the latest
being the city's cab union, driver training program
and the one and only Green Cab Company.
During the Mayor Art Agnos' administration Latino groups
in the Mission planned on getting a large HUD grant
to take over the old Armory building on 14th and Mission
Street and turn it into a large center focussing on
a possible Latino TV station.. The Mission Armory Foundation
(MAF) was formed to get the money and go ahead with
the project. They would receive a $1.8 million award
to go ahead. The president of the MAF also happened
to be the head of Mission Legal at the building. Anybody
ever see a $1.8 million check before?
Sadly, the MAF board discovered that the money would
be far too little to fix up the Armory. So the board
started looking into buying other buildings including
the Redstone building. They made a formal bid for the
building but Luchessi wanted more than they were willing
to pay for. Soon afterwards, the new mayor Willie Brown
would take the money from MAF and break it up, including
approximately $40,000 that would being given to The
Lab that then went for the creation of the Murals in
the lobby in 1997.
The building has had a history of serious maintenance
disasters. In the mid 1970's, a large water line broke
flooding the building, damaging the buildings floor
tiling, requiring all of the halls in the upper floors
to be replaced. In the late 1980's, as part of a grant
the building did a overhaul of its lighting systems,
resulting in a dramatic reduction in lighting bills.
In the late 80's the current building manager was at
the building when a large water main broke, setting
up the danger of another round of costly repairs. However,
he being in the building on Sunday morning resulted
in catching the event and stopping the flooding. At
least 3 other similar flooding events in the basement
also took place one which cost nearly $20,000 in repairs
The owner got himself a real deal when the current
manager pulled the badly damaged water tower off the
roof of the building in 1994.
The Clarion Alley Mural Project (CAMP) link will go
here. Mayor Brown would attend the grand opening. A
few days after the event the secretary of the SF Painter's
Union came by and told the manager that every year on
the anniversary of the murder of Dow Wilson, the Union
would send a letter to the East Bay union demanding
an apology for their role in his death. The east bay
had yet to respond as of 1997. The two unions were finally
forced together around 2005.
The owner was also forced by City Attorney Hallinan
to put parapet support structures on the roof in 1998
to protect against future earthquakes.. A year later
the entire Capp Street concrete area was replaced by
the manager. He netted about $600 for 30 days of 14
hour a day work. During the winter of 2008 the giant
old Ucalypsis tree on Capp St. fell destroying 2 cars
and damaging several others, leaving a large hole in
the sidewalk that the city finally repaired. It was
fortunate that nobody was killed or injured.
During the 1990's the neighborhood suffered from terrible
drug and street problems. The current building manager
was severely beaten in October 2001 by a giant Heroine
ring that had taken over the entire 16th street block
on both sides. He was bed ridden for nearly two months,
required crutches for 6 months and took nearly 4 years
to before he would fully walk again (no medical coverage).
He has also been on medical leave between June 2008
and Sept 2009 due to Mercury poisoning that has badly
damaged his Prostate and Urinary Tract.
As part of the neighborhood gentrification push starting
with the dot-com expansion into the North Mission, the
Redstone Building came under pressure of sale. No tenants
had leases and on August 27th, 1999 the danger of an
immediate sale to a large Texas Real Estate Tycoon launched
the building tenants on a multi-year campaign to investigate
their own purchase of the building. At one point, there
was a proposal for the City's Real Estate office to
buy the building, but all the tenants except Rhino turned
that idea down. A $2,000 grant was obtained to get the
building historic status as well as a $35,000 grant
to assess the building for potential purchase was also
It would be the 2nd time tenants had banded together,
the first taking place in 1990, demanding that heat
and other services be turned on which had still not
happened due to damages from the 1989 earthquake.
The 2nd time around, the Redstone Tenants Association
(the idea was to call it the Redstone Labor Temple Assoc.)
took hold and thanks to the funding went through several
paid staff people with Betty Traynor taking charge.
After much work bids and prospective buyers were readied
but ignored by the owner. However, the city did finally
grant the building historic status (#238) which the
tenants celebrated in July 2004, with Walter Johnson
and other dignitaries attending the event in The Lab's
Mission Agenda would play a key role in launching the
political career of Chris Daly who has spent many years
on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.
In 2004 Luna Sea theater collapsed due to internal
problems. In 2008 the building lost MAFCU and on July
1st 2009, we lost Rhinoceros Theater. Much of the building's
smaller spaces are rented but there are still problems
renting the bigger spaces. Maybe we should open up a
As part of the July 2009 LaborFest event, Louis Prisco
would do a Redstone Building Mural presentation and
neighborhood walk. The walk and the 2004 Historic Status
celebration would be turned into a video presentation
about the building's history. The video presentation
and expanded research has led to this online material
with much more to come
The building will be celebrating its 95th anniversary
of operation on February 27th 2010.
Additional Notes: There was a third Labor Temple
just over a block away that was constructed by the Building
Trades Council (BTC) that opened in 1908 on 14th and
Gurerrero. The 14th Street BTC Temple was closed due
to a major fire in 1961.
Until the most recent draft on 8-19-09, I was under
the false assumption that the BTC and Labor Council
mended their ways to build a common Labor Temple, only
to fall apart again. However, upon doing a Google search
for the 314 property, I realized that this property
wasn't the 14th St. BTC building and in fact was the
original SF Labor Council Temple).
Special Note: During the week of 8-17-09 to 8-23-09,
I had incorrectly identified the building located at
318-328 14th St. as the first Labor Temple the SF Labor
Council constructed back between 9-06 and 11-1906. As
a result of help from the SF history room at the public
library I was able to gain access to the 1915 Sanborn
Insurance maps of the city that showed the real location
of the Labor Temple's building at 312-316 14th Street.
It pays to be careful! They were directly next door.
What caught me in the mistake was that the blocks were
laid out differently from current block maps.
I was also able to obtain 3 different images of William
McCabe on 8-22-09, who played such a major role in building
both Labor Temples. It will take permission from the
city library to display them. The documentation on the
back of the images was helpful.